Friday, May 1, 2009

The big race!

I can't believe it is already here. It seems like I have been doing sprints forever. Tomorrow is the big race that I have been training for for a long time. I am doing the Toad Suck 10K and I have a goal for it. I want to believe that I can achieve this goal, but I know it is going to be tough for me. I tend to want to give up and not push myself when it starts to hurt.

My dear friend, Georgia, read an article once how Mike Huckabee got through all his marathons. He would dedicate a mile to someone and pray for that someone during the race. I believe Georgia did this during her last half marathon and I am going to steal it from her. I need all the distractions I can get when it starts hurting. So, here are a few people I am going to dedicate my run to. I have so many people I could dedicate this run to, but these are a few people who inspire me in different ways:

The first mile I dedicate to my husband because he always believe that I can do anything if I train hard enough. He believed that I could eventually do a pull-up by myself and I never thought I could. I did one the other day!! I couldn't believe it!! It was only one, but still I did it! Thanks, babe, for believing in me.

The second mile is for my kiddos. The inspire me everyday to enjoy the little things in life. They get so excited about going to Eds bakery for breakfast or just wrestling on the floor. To see the delight in their eyes is just remarkable and makes me thank God for their innocence at this age.


The third mile is for my mom and dad. Their strength and love for their children is amazing. They have a had a few tough years, but they stick it out and continue to smile.


The fourth mile is for my running buddies Alisa and Heidi! We have been running on Friday mornings for a long time now and the friendship I have developed with these two ladies has been so much fun.They inspire me to get up in the mornings and go for a run even when I know could do other things. They push me to want to get better.

The fifth mile I am going to dedicate to my sassy friend Ashley. Not only is she a great friend and great mom, she also has one of the most creative and crafty minds. She inspires me to reach far back into that brain that God gave me and use it to think of different ways to decorate, to be frugal and to engage my children in fun crafty projects.

The last mile is a little different. I don't know if anyone watched the Miss USA this year or not. I did not, but I do watch the news. Miss California I believe was predicted to win, but when she was asked a question about traditional marriage verses homosexual marriages, she gave her opinion about how she believed. She ended up first runner-up, but this huge controversy came about it. She stood by her answer of believing that marriage is between a man and a woman even after not winning. She based it on her faith in Jesus. This struck me a little in that she is sticking up for what she believes and it inspired me to not be afraid in speaking the truth. I know sometimes that I don't speak up like I should, but now I am going to try harder to change.
So, I am running this last mile for Jesus because he inspires me everyday and I want to tell everyone about him!

So, after all that said, I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow. I think they are calling for it to. Noah is planning on running the Tadpole trot afterwards. I think it is a half a lap around the track. Love watching him do this because he has so much fun!

4 comments:

The Stain Family said...

Good for you! Praying it doesn't rain 'til after the race! :) I think that's a great idea to pray during the race and hopefully it will keep your mind distracted from the pain. Go Shannon!!

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful idea! That was sweet to read about all those people.

I'm running the 5K tomorrow--my first race! I think I'll just concentrate on following the arrows and not getting lost though.

I totally forgot to ask them what the inclement weather policy is. How will we know if the race is on or not?

Heather said...

Shannon- I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! I am so sorry that the weather was so bad....I think you get extra points just for running at all, regardless of your time! :)

The Fintons said...

Hey Girl! CONGRATS on running the race and beating your own time! You inspire me in some many more ways....You go girl! I am proud of you!!